March 21, 2012

Heroes & Monsters

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Baker Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

I had trouble with this particular review, the book, while filled with some great little gems of truth was also very confusing to follow. I enjoyed it, thought he was a great writer but can I honestly say I would refer anyone to read it? I don't know. This is the story of his life so to speak, a dark look at humanity, and very truthful in the way he deals with life and the struggles that it throws at us. There were loads of great lines, loads of 'jewels' that almost seem C.S. Lewis like. Yet I struggled to keep up, there were times that I wanted more and times that I was confused about where he was going. The book seemed to have little direction. Did he accomplish what he set out to do? I think so, but I also think that it's very much like reading this Blog from beginning post to end post... what is the end point? I don't know. What is the 'topic'? I am not sure. As a life story it was interesting, as a look at our inner thoughts and honest feelings about the crap life throws at us, he did indeed succeed. However his 'artsy' style of writing is not for everyone. I was left feeling, in the end that the book was good, but that I could not say it's for everyone. For example, I wouldn't recommend it to my Mom, but I have a few friends who would find value in it and understand his purpose.

I don't like this part of the reviewing process, because what I struggle with someone else might really appreciate. I am not saying it's not worth the read, as I said, there were many great truths and as you can see from the paperclips I managed to take a lot away from this book, it seemed that every other page had some powerful piece of information. One of my favorite lines was 'laughter is the evidence that we're still here, the proof that our tragedies will not define us forever. Laughter is the language of the survivor.' So you see, I got something from this book, I took away a lot of information that will slowly work it's way into the fabric of me, I will hear his words in the my dark moments and know the truth of them over and over again. This is not a 'bad review' it's simply a question mark about who I would share it with, who I would think could garner something from it. If you like artsy writing, if you want to hear some pretty awesome and powerful truths about life and what makes you who you are, and how God touches you in the midst of pain, suffering, and sometimes just unsteady times, if you have ever dared to dream and then been afraid to step out on the ledge to make that dream a reality, then you may very well enjoy this book.

If you do decided to check it out I would love your thoughts on it!! It would make an awesome book study for a book club!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, don't be shy! Follow me!