July 7, 2010

Flight 621 Memorial...

On July 5th 1970 on a hot but breezy Sunday a flight carrying 109 people flying from Montreal to LosAngeles with a stop in Toronto, crashed shortly after take off at the Toronto airport. It slammed into a farmers field in Brampton Ontario... No on survived.

40 years ago, it's a long time... more than I have been alive... and yet as I watched people gather on Sunday morning to remember their loved ones at a the crash site in Brampton I was touched by the rawness of those emotions. People spoke of Mothers, Fathers, Sisters, Brothers, Aunts & Uncles and friends... all with tears in their eyes and heavy hearts. It made you ache to watch. How do you move past something that leaves you not only totally winded but without your natural support system to help you recover?


One man, lost his wife of just 33days, as he speaks of her his eyes fill with tears and his voice cracks, the pain still very evident in both his anger and his grief. When does that kind of pain stop? How long? U2 sings a song called 40, it came to mind while I stood listening to the voices of so many hurting people.

I waited patiently for the Lord
He inclined and heard my cry
He brought me up out of the pit
Out of the miry clay

I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song

How long to sing this song
How long to sing this song
How long...how long...how long...
How long...to sing this song

He set my feet upon a rock
And made my footsteps firm
Many will see
Many will see and fear

I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song
I will sing, sing a new song

How long to sing this song
How long to sing this song
How long...how long...how long...
How long...to sing this song

While I hurt for those who were devestated by the crash of flight 621, I am thankful and hopeful for them as well, that they have finally had a chance to gain some closure, that they are here, sharing in the love of others who have been hurt by the same tragedy, and that together, they may just find the power and the strength to sing a new song.

1 comment:

  1. Laurie,
    You've capture a moment here. Thank you for sharing your experience of our human condition.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback, don't be shy! Follow me!